Thursday 18 December 2014

Medical Remorse

I have always had very painful periods since I was in my late teens and would often get very sick on the first two days. I had an ultrasound scan about 15 years ago which showed nothing. I never though more about it until a couple of years ago when I was 36 and ready to have a baby. I always thought painful and irregular periods were normal for some people, and that I was just one of the unlucky ones.

My GP decided to send me for an ultrasound scan two years ago. Apparently being so sick that you get yourself admitted into the Emergency department at your local hospital whenever your period comes is not normal. The scan showed that I had multiple cysts on my ovaries. I was booked in for keyhole surgery 6 months later. While in there removing the cysts, the doctors discovered I had endometriosis. So here I was, diagnosed with PCOS and severe endometriosis and feeling very depress and sorry for myself. Oh well, what is there to do? So back to hospital for a laporoscopy to remove the endometriosis four months ago.

Now my periods are somewhat in a normal routine, I find myself checking for my LH (Luteinizing Hormone) surge using digital ovulation test kits. Sounds easy right? For the past to months we have been doing the deed as we should on the correct days, but two menstrual cycles later, sad to say still no BFP (Big Fat Positive) on the multiple pregnancy sticks which I pee on religiously.

Why did I not get tested for endometriosis sooner? Why must I have all these problems? Why oh why?.. I must admit I do stress myself out and I am making a promise to myself today; that I will make an attempt to relax, maybe do some meditation and not track my ovulation this month, and just enjoy Christmas.


No comments:

Post a Comment